1957 saw the introduction of the Canberra. The Squadron received the B Mk 2 version of the aircraft, with the usual work up a new aircraft type entails. This was hampered by the actions of the E.O.K.A. terrorists, whose act of sabotage burned down a hangar and resulted in the loss of five aircraft. Guard duty became intensive for all ranks, being reduced by an influx of RAF Police and guard dogs. The role of the Canberra was as part of the Near East Air Force Strike Wing supporting the Central Treaty Organization. 1958 saw A.C. Burrett winning the R.A.F. Levant Light Weight Boxing Champions
hips for the second year in succession. A detachment starting from Germany and finishing at Gatundu, Kenya resulted in a fine display and letters of thanks from the District Commissioner.
1959 saw a deployment to Peshawar, Pakistan and 1961 the Squadron hosted a Turkish Fighter Squadron in addition to the usual training and bombing regime. The Squadron’s role as one of the dedicated offensive forces in the N.E.A.F. was a vital one and was carried out very well. The B Mk 2 fleet was reinforced with the introduction of the improved B Mk 6 and in 1962, the B Mk 16 replaced the previous marks. However with the withdrawal of the British from its African colonies, the closure of its remaining bases in the Middle East and the gradual demise of CENTO, the existence of the strike wing in Cyprus became surplus and a draw down of forces began.
There was much lobbying by senior officers who had served on the Squadron to maintain the existence of the Squadron, as it was the only squadron never to have been drawn down to cadre or disbanded. This lobby had the desired effect with the decision that one of the new Phantom squadrons would take the “6” Number Plate from the Canberra squadron. On the 10th January 1969, the Strike Wing and 6 (Canberra) Sqn was disestablished at midnight. The Phantom unit with its full establishment of aircrew took mantle of the number plate, one minute later. The Squadron had returned to the United Kingdom after fifty four years of glorious service overseas and this was celebrated with the movement of the standards from the old Squadron to the new Squadron, arriving by Britannia transport to be paraded by the Phantom Squadron on its arrival.
Six Squadron was the first Phantom squadron to form following the introduction of the Phantom FGR2 to RAF service. The core of the Squadron aircrew came from No 1 course on 228 OCU at RAF Coningsby, with Wing Commander David Harcourt-Smith as the new CO. Soon after the Squadron formed, they were given the honour of providing a diamond nine formation in conjuction with the OCU for the investitrure of HRH the Prince of Wales at Caernarfon Castle on 5th July 1969.
As the new Phantom force built up over the next few years, there were frequent postings, especially to RAF Bruggen, to even out experience levels.
The Phantom gave sterling service in the ground attack role until the introduction of the Jaguar in 1974. As the squadrons re-equipped with the new type, the Phantoms assumed the air defence role, taking over progressively from the Lightning.